FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DC to Dulles Metrobus route 5A on the chopping block
Old Sep 18, 2015, 7:25 pm
JacobVB27

Programs: Dulles Airport Traveler's Aid Volunteer, hopefully future United IK member
Originally Posted by DCA writer
If you use Google Maps--like, say, somebody coming to D.C. from out of town--then the 5A is the only transit route to/from IAD that you'll see. And WMATA seems fine with overlapping routes elsewhere (how many different 30s buses go up and down Wisconsin?).

The $7 fare is a legitimate issue. I'd like to think that Metro would address that as part of optimizing the 5A route to work with a couple of billion dollars in new rail infrastructure, but who am I kidding?
Part one is exactly one of the main reasons so many take the 5A bus instead of the Fairfax Connector or Silver Line Express from Dulles. I tell them all three options and let them choose what they want. A good amount of people are adamant about taking the 5A bus for whatever reason so I don't fight it and just tell them where to go. I get weird looks when I tell them there are other options to get to DC. Yes, they overlap places that are in the middle of areas with no metro or areas that are too far from the metro. I also think they have several 30s and N buses to try to relieve some of the packed buses. They still are packed.

What do you suggest: lower the price? How exactly do you suggest improving the 5A bus when most of the issues is traffic related? The only thing I can see doing is moving the stop out to West Falls Church. That would relieve majority of the issues the 5A has. As for the suggestions you made above:

1. People who need the 5A bus have already taken it and know exactly where to pick it up or will ask the desk closest to their baggage claim. How confusing would it be if they changed the name to IAD? "I need the IAD bus". You mean the Silver Line Bus?

2. Like another poster mentioned above, why would you do that? As it is right now, there are too many stops on the 5A bus. If you are trying to get on any of the Silver Line Stops, why not use the cheaper, more reliable and more convenient Silver Line Bus? If someone wants to use their Smart Trip Card, they can easily take the Fairfax Connector 981/983 from/to Dulles. Again it is cheaper, convenient and more reliable. I have taken it at least 10 times and had not had a problem with it. Also while it takes a while to get to Dulles, it is more relaxing than the 5A bus. If they were to keep it, I would move it out to West Falls Church Metro. I loved the Washington Flyer Bus( reliable, convenient, relaxing etc). While people would need to get change for it, it would improve the Bus a good amount.

I can understand if the Silver Line wasn't open yet but given you can go anywhere in the system and easily mind you from Wiehle, I see no point in keeping the 5A bus.

Last edited by JacobVB27; Sep 19, 2015 at 7:22 am