Old Sep 17, 15, 6:38 am
yorkboy24

Programs: Accor Platinum, SPG Platinum
Just a quick report back on my last stay in August. The hotel's clientele has changed considerably with a higher proportion of tour group guests. Although the hotel is still very good, it is not quite the 9.5/10 I gave it last time. It's more like an 8.5. Breakfast is chaotic with all the people there (no one welcomed us on 3 out of the 4 days and didn't even offer tea or coffee etc). The quality of the food at breakfast has also deteriorated. The rooms and facilities are still very good, as is the service, although you'd get outstanding staff among very good staff so if you get the outstanding member, you can tailor your dishes in the restaurant etc and this makes a real difference.

The GM still has a cocktail evening but it's once a week now (Thursdays). I managed to talk to him right at the end and as everyone had gone, we spoke for about an hour. It was a very interested discussion - he was aware of many of the issues I raised. The key information that would interest Flyertalk members is that they are planning to build a club lounge to open probably at the end of 2016 or beginning of 2017. This will be a game changer, especially as it will offer more privacy in light of the crowded breakfast area dominated by tour groups. Also, the number of rooms for tour groups is capped at 50 per night and he is aware of the challenges. Indeed, he is doing a lot of local community liaison to resolve the issues with the beach and seems to be making good progress on this so that he is able to get the beach cleaned regularly. And finally, there are plans for at least one Sofitel and one more Pullman in Phuket, which is also exciting. He said that most owners in Asia are wanting to brand as Pullman as it is much cheaper than Sofitel in terms of the initial investment. Therefore, Pullman as a brand is being re-defined in Asia as a kind of more informal resort-style luxury brand compared with a more upmarket / classical Sofitel brand. I would recommend trying this hotel as it is still in my Top 5 Accor hotels.