FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cruise noob - where to start?
View Single Post
Old Sep 15, 2015, 6:35 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by pinniped
- Given that price range, I know we won't be looking at any kind of ultra-luxe ship, but are some boats a cut above others in terms of level of services, type of clientele attracted, richness/uniqueness of excursions offered, etc.? My in-laws have traveled to six continents and enjoy a wide variety of cultures, but I know they *don't* just want to dock in Cancun and go pound beers at the TGI Friday's on shore. So I guess we'd want a semi-upscale (perhaps smaller) ship that had a little more sophistication than floating Spring Break. Am I dreaming here? Do I have to jump up to a $5,000-a-head cruise to get this?
You and I may have similar tastes. For our Alaska cruise next year, I wanted the closest thing to a Four Seasons Resort on water (i.e., upscale but catering to families/children). The experience on most mainstream cruise lines just sounds tacky IMHO, and I imagine most luxury brands are not kid-friendly.

Having never been on a cruise, my research led me to Crystal Cruises. Unfortunately, both their ships will be on longer trips over Christmas, and thus will blow your budget. But if you're flexible on dates you might consider this voyage: http://www.crystalcruises.com/caribb...ip-miami--7301. They also have some nice packages for larger groups, like the "Crystal Family Memories" program.

Agreed that cruisecritic.com is the FT of cruising. Good luck!