FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]
Old Sep 15, 2015, 1:00 pm
traveler9020

Originally Posted by m3lissa
I am looking for some advice on how to handle my daughter's situation (I will admit I read back through some of this thread but didn't make it through all the pages)

She is attending college in Washington and flies Alaska regularly to/from Seattle. I've had the Visa Signature card for over a year and found the companion fare and miles to be a good benefit/worth the annual fee.

My daughter and I recently planned a trip to Hawaii next spring break. Daughter wants to bring her boyfriend along however fares from Austin are pricey. So we devised a strategy to have her apply for the Visa Signature card (since they mailed her an offer for it).

She applied, got a letter she was approved (along with disclosing her credit score is 728).

Sadly, the card arrived in the mail and it was the Classic card (no mention anywhere that the card approved was NOT the card applied for). Anyway, we are both extremely angry since we put a hefty non-refundable deposit down for a rental in Hawaii thinking she was approved for the Visa Signature card with the companion fare. If we can't use the companion fare to get her and her boyfriend to Hawaii we are out ~ another $1200 for airfare or we cancel our trip and lose the rental deposit.

Her approved CL was for $1200. I am thinking she should call and ask for the Platinum Plus card with the $2K limit (which comes with the companion fare)? From some of the previous posts I am not sure I understand the process to make this happen.

Any advice is much appreciated... trying to get 6 people to agree on dates and a spot to vacation is hard enough without this snafu.

One option may be for you to apply for a second signature card and get an additional certificate. From the Alaska Mileage Plan Q&A's;

Who can use my Companion Fare Discount Code?
The Mileage Plan™ member who owns the Companion Fare Discount Code must either be one of the travelers or the purchaser of the reservation. If the member is allowing two travelers to use his or her Companion Fare Discount Code, then the member's name must match the name on the credit card used to purchase the reservation.

If you were to use a second companion pass in the manner stated above, wouldn't the cost be the same as using your daughter's companion pass?