FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DL and AA No More Interline Agreement; Then Interline Agreement Returns January 2018
Old Sep 11, 2015, 6:49 pm
HDQDD

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
One of the other things that adds cost is checked bags. If AA "rules" a pax over to DL but doesn't get their bags moved over to DL (and this happens often, both ways)...then DL would incur the cost to deliver the bag and the negative customer perception. This cost (which my former company estimated at $82/bag in 2005) would negate any profit they got from carrying the IRROPed pax.

DL issued a statement. Wow, according to this they were getting 5 times as many IROP pax from AA as they were sending to AA.

http://news.delta.com/delta-and-amer...line-agreement

Originally Posted by channa
These are seats that are on open flights, usually departing within the next couple of hours. They were not likely to sell, and if they were or suspected as they would, DL could decline the rebooking when contacted. And they do do that -- e.g., decline taking people on a flight if the earlier one hasn't departed on a mechanical for example.

No doubt this is going to be a hit for DL, as this is lost incremental revenue on a perishable product. In fact, it is likely a bigger hit for DL than AA, since DL likely receives more AA rebooks than they rebook on AA.
Agreed. When I used to manage the ticket counter at an airline, I always tried to take OA pax if we had space/time and they had their bags with them.

However, I think it will be a short term hit. Long term it will give DL more control over their own inventory. You can't really plan for OA IROPs.

Originally Posted by SYRRDU
I have booked that flight (~6pm) 6 times over the last year on US/AA and it has been cancelled twice, it has been significantly late 3 times arriving well past midnight. And only once, the last time I flew it, it arrived late, but only about an hour. Granted, much of it was weather, with some mechanical, but I expect that the NEW AA will operate more like the old US.

DL could make a good decision flying PIT-RDU direct.
Haha, the day I was rerouted it was ~2 hours late too...but it was still the quickest option.

Last edited by Canarsie; Sep 15, 2015 at 9:12 pm Reason: Consolidation.