FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: Earning AA AAdvantage Miles on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)
Old Sep 11, 2015, 3:38 pm
nkedel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Addendum to the above:

I'm a big fan of the value proposition of Cathay PEY, both for the better seat than coach and especially given the relatively low change fees (recently went up from $50 to $100, but compared to $250-275 on AA or god help you $400-$500 on some I fares in business, that's still a big bargain).

It's also nice that E seats rarely fully sell out; I got that seat on the 7th on February 4th, as a flight change where I was originally returning several days later. No fare change at all.

There are E-seats available tonight at 1AM at essentially the regular fare -- about $2200 -- where the AA codeshare in coach is about $1900 and the H fare on Cathay itself about $2000 (with similar change rules to PEY).

Surprisingly for an under-24-hours purchase, AA is much cheaper: ~$1500 on the same days as the above (tomorrow, returning the 19th), or ~$1200 if one were to come back Tues. OTOH, it's an S fare, with a $250 change fee and 0.5 EQP per mile.