FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA carry on / carryon baggage rules & enforcement (master thd)
Old Sep 10, 2015, 3:12 pm
MIAman3

Originally Posted by JDiver
Trust me when I say (as I did earlier) the FAA dinged AA badly during a recent audit for violating its own (FAA approved) baggage policies; I have it on excellent authority. Badly enough AA sent out a directive requiring adherence to and enforcement of the existing, FAA approved, carry on policy.
The world is NOT black and white but the 'rules' are nearly always applied in a black and white world.

American Corp. may have been 'dinged' heavily but that doesn't prevent using some common sense rulings to not alienate passengers any further who travel the most frequently and for the most part comply with carry ons that fit comfortably in the overhead lockers. Some really do push it with a full upright carryon, a suit bag and laptop bag and thats really not being fair.
It's not unreasonable to expect a slightly easier transit if you choose to be loyal to one airline 'regardless of cost' . We're not asking for smoking slippers, pipe and red carpet . As a consultant (who has been resting for a few months but will be working again soon), time is money and I need to be there in a suitable time without the time delay of retrieving checked luggage and the very real prospect of the bag not arriving (5 of my last 8 times with checked luggage did NOT arrive)

I just measured my Samsonite bag that was advertised as a 'carry-on' bag. It's 22.75 by 14 by 9.25. I tried a Swiss Army bag 2 wheeler a few days ago that was compliant but could barely fit 4 t-shirts, some underwear and a very light pair of shoes and was almost full. (i'm 6'3"). It;s going back to the store. I seriouslyt want to comply but they (AA) and the bag manufacturers are making it very hard.

So I'm choosing to use this bag. Call me an anarchist. Yes, If I get asked to check it because it does not fit, I will comply. What choice have we got?