FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 22,000 miles -- 10 Observations about AA
View Single Post
Old Sep 7, 2015, 6:40 am
tarmac

22,000 miles -- 10 Observations about AA

The past month, I've flown 22,000 miles . . . all on American. I'm exec plat, and wanted to share some overall observations based on these trips:

1. The inflight experience varies wildly. There is a shocking lack of consistency in the experience of flying on American. Some FA's (about 10 percent) offer a pre-departure drink and provide great service. Others, do the bare minimum, and a few are downright hostile. If AA could clone the best of its crew, I believe it could compete with any airline, anywhere.

2. You can fly in coach, and survive
. I flew in coach a couple of times, and actually enjoyed it. The seats aren't that bad, and getting a free adult beverage and choice from the snack cart isn't half bad. The sandwich with beef and coleslaw is actually better tasting that some of the food in first. Also, FA's seem to know who is Exec Plat and offer, or at least provide, this service willingly.

3. The Inflight Entertainment on the newer planes is great
, with a wide variety of programming. However, on the old system, the choice is extremely limited. Again, a huge lack of consistency.

4. The new Airbus planes are amazing to fly. Clean, New and Comfortable.

5. For me, the most tasty meal choice on international flights if often the pasta.
I've tried nearly all of the choices, and for my taste, the pasta is often the best meal.

6. AA's Frequent Flyer program works amazingly well.
In nearly all the flights, my partner and I were upgraded. We used system-wide upgrades, and on most domestic flights we were in first. Having been top tier with both Delta and UAL in the past, I can say that AA's program is by far the best. I pray that it continues.

7. Admirals Clubs are Worth it! With all the domestic flying, I bought a 1-month membership to the Admirals Club. What a great investment! A great place to hang out, very helpful staff, and the added food options including the tasty soups, make it a haven.

8. We're all in this together. It finally dawned on me that when we fly, we're all in the experience together . . . the Flight crew and passengers, and we all have a role in making it a good experience. Being helpful to other passengers, help squeezing in an extra suitcase, being appreciative of the FA's all contribute to an overall good experience. When I started to take responsibility for making the flight good . . . rather than only expecting others to make it good for me, traveling got better.

9. The Executive Platinum line is worth its weight in gold. It's hard to count the number of times these staff members have been patient, helped change flights, hunted for an upgrade, answered questions, gone the second mile. (As a contrast, I booked a flight on Emirates and could barely understand the person in the off-shore call center.)

10. Be the very first, or the very last to enter the plane. Boarding the plane can be chaotic. Being among the first, makes the experience better. Likewise, when we didn't need much luggage in the overhead bin, coming in when everyone else was in and seated, also worked well. Avoid the crush.