FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JW Marriott Mauritius Resort (formerly St. Regis) Mauritius [Master Thread]
Old Sep 3, 2015, 2:11 pm
banzani

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
We stayed 5 nights on points (80k) in mid August. I had SNAs confirmed for a St Regis suite which is what we received. i guess based on earlier reviews I had hopes for a Grand suite but the hotel was busy and we were very pleased with our room (400) and its location. I am not sure previous descriptions of upper/ground floor to differentiate between St Regis and Grand suites are accurate, it looked as if different buildings feature either suite type on both floors (judged by size of terrace and balcony).

The main positives:
- overall beautifully laid out resort with a very long stretch of beach. There is a few meters space between each set/pair of beach loungers and only one row.
- generous family policy. Our kids could stay for free in the same suite and extra bed provided at no cost. Something to learn for european and asian hotels ! Breakfast chosen as Plat amenity and received full buffet for all 4 of us.
- staff fantastic and very motivated, eager to please. We were invited to a cocktail by management on the first evening and it was obvious the team was motivated and genuinely interested in engaging with guests. It was our daughter's birthday and the butler team was great, providing a cake and balloons in the room (at no charge)
- nice water and corals, one of the better glass bottom and snorkel trips on the island (we also stayed at Westin, One&Only, and LUX Belle Mare).
- great central facilities with play room, library, and even a cinema !
- great room decor

Room for improvements:
- the biggest disappointment was F&B. Breakfast quality was good, but not outstanding. It ends at 10 already and therefore was very busy between 9 and 10. Crowd management was poor, we had 2 mornings where we had to split into 2/2 to eat. The Indian restaurant was pretty good, reasonably priced, but lighting and interior not cosy. Surprisingly no outdoor seating, same for the Japanese place. Atsuko was very expensive, nothing special, and horrible interior design and lighting. I am puzzled how they are not providing nice and more outdoor venues, such as at the Westin. There are a few options to eat in La Gaulette 10 min by car.
- Plat recognition is generally good, but little 'hard' benefits (no free breakfast other than as amenity, no cocktail hour, etc). We did receive a voucher for a free 20 min massage 'teaser' at the spa, unclear whether that was a Plat gift or not.
- if you want to play tennis you have to buy the balls (free at other hotels)
- the beach/sand is not the best. You definitely need shoes. Nowhere near other beaches on the island such as Troux aux Biches
- in our room, the AC blew right in your face when lying in bed - a very odd design

Overall we had a great stay, and it's a beautiful resort. However there are a few areas for improvement. It's in a remote part of the island. The Westin costs half the points for similar facilities, and is in a more central location to discover the surroundings (however, it has no beach or sea to speak of). We liked moving around and trying out different hotels. There was no clear winner, they are all good and have their strengths and weaknesses.