FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need help asap! Laptop problem - Murphy's Law
Old Sep 3, 2015, 9:21 am
SkiAdcock
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by mia
Understood.

Did you try opening a Chrome Incognito Window at the Library, and navigating to a common site such as google.com?

The fact that Internet Explorer also does not display the Splash Screen suggests that the problem may be in Windows rather than the browser, but in Chrome you could go to Menu > History > Clear Browsing Data > Obliterate the following items from: _the beginning of time_ > tick all the boxes > [Clear Browsing Data]

This will delete all of your cookies, saved passwords, automated logins etc. (If you will have trouble logging in to some sites because you do not remember the passwords you may first wish to try it without ticking Saved Passwords.)

How would she know that URL?
Did the clear all browsing history. Also went incognito. Nothing.

The IT guy at the library did the splash page url & it didn't work either, so the consensus is that "something's interfering with this & it could be anything".

Anyway, I'm headed to Charter to order I-net & with luck will get the install tomorrow. Otherwise it will be Tuesday. Will go to Starbucks to access I-net there so I can get through the stuff I need to get done today.

You all are techies, which I'm not. Getting a new laptop, getting software installed, files transferred, etc, to me is not a 30 minute job. Granted, this has taken longer than I anticipated but I'm bouncing between the library's terminal & my laptop.

And until I get Charter at the house I'm dependent upon public wifi spots & their hours, regardless if I have the current laptop or the new one. I would have preferred the library because I can reserve a quiet room where I could work on laptop & make the phone calls I need to do so.

Anyway, thank you all for your help. Here's hoping there's not a problem w/ Charter too & accessing the I-net! I say that because when it comes to me and technology & Murphy's Law, we're talking a perfect storm.

Cheers.