FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need help asap! Laptop problem - Murphy's Law
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:31 am
SkiAdcock
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by mia
I suspect that the library's splash screen, where you accept the terms, is the problem. If possible, try to go somewhere else such as a Starbucks or McDonalds to see if you can achieve a working internet connection. This will rule out a variety of other causes.

If you return to the library try using Chrome in Incognito mode, or another browser (Internet Explorer) for the initial sign in.
The problem is that I'm not getting to the splash page to accept the terms. It tells me I'm connected but no splash page. So will head to Starbucks or McDs & try it there. Tried IE yest eve & same problem.

Appreciate those who are offering suggestions & trying to help me get through this short term.

Originally Posted by MaxBuck
I'm left scratching my head as to why you must wait two weeks to purchase such a critical business tool.
This problem started yesterday afternoon - ie, less than 24 hours ago. I'm in the midst of moving from a 1,900 sq ft home to a smaller one that's in more rural area, and dealing with movers, furniture, 200+ boxes, calling utility companies when I'm in town to get things set up such as gas, electric, Charter (and hopefully they can install this week). I leave in less than a week for an overseas business trip. I'm not going to buy a laptop overseas.

I'm juggling writing press releases with contacting journalists etc, in the final build up to the show & trying to juggle the move w/ that, which is already sucky timing/overload. I've got back-up via Carbonite. But the reality is that if I can get the current laptop to work/access the internet until I go overseas vs. going out & looking at new laptops & then buying one, getting familiar with a new operating system and getting files transferred over while still trying to do the work stuff/timelines for the trade show that's less than a week away, that would be better.

As mentioned earlier, if Murphy (as in M's Law) was in front of me I'd run him over with my car!

Cheers.