FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need help asap! Laptop problem - Murphy's Law
Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:44 pm
SkiAdcock
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by freecia
Give this a try to reset the network settings
https://hrushikeshzadgaonkar.wordpre...dress-problem/

Also, when all else fails, a basic USB ethernet dongle and ethernet cord is a good debugging tool. Maybe your wifi adapter hardware piece is no longer working - meaning it might not be a software setting.

Did you update any software recently like system updates, driver updates, or new telco provided "getting started" setup software?

P.S. for the pants, try a towel tuck and roll it over a few times to make it tighter. Or jab together with a paperclip.
Will this work w/ Vista (which is what I have) & how do I get to the Command prompt?

"I have seen many people facing problem with autoconfiguration of IPv4 and IPv6 addresses in windows 7 operating system.

Basic Problems:
•Problem in connecting to the network with any IP input.
•Problem in changing or disabling Autoconfiguration IPv4 or IPv6 Address which is shown in ipconfig command.

Solutions:

1.Type ” netsh winsock reset ” ( without quotes ) in the Command Prompt and press Enter. ( Winsock is basically a specification of how networking software accesses the network services )
2.Type netsh interface ipv4 reset in command prompt and press Enter. ( For IPv4 address )
3.Type netsh interface ipv6 reset in command prompt and press Enter. ( For IPv6 address )
4.ipconfig /flushdns press Enter. ( Flushes the dns )

Finally Restart your Computer and you are done!"

Haven't updated anything lately. The laptop was in the car in the driveway when I shut down the wireless router. I didn't shut it down in any particular order. Just started pulling cables & the power cord. Would that have impacted the laptop/settings? I would think not given the laptop was in the car & not the house.

I'm going to Charter tomorrow to place order (have some questions), so there's nothing on Charter side yet that would interfere. And I'm not even sure when they'll be able to do the install.

Earlier today the wifi was working/I was sending email inbetween packing boxes, etc. Shut down the laptop (getting that battery issue), drop off boxes, head to the library, try to access the internet, nada. Get the DNS error code.

"This webpage is not available. DNS probe finished. Bag config. Click on details & it says DNS look up failed. Check DNS settings. Try disabling network prediction. Allow Chrome to access your firewall in anti-virus settings."

Just discovered the sweatpants have pockets. If I keep my hands in the pockets clutching them inside, they seem to stay up. Otherwise a grab to prevent them going to the ankles. Will try the rolling them up thing.

Cheers.