FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Car Share Best of What Is Left. Enterprise or Zipcar?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:46 pm
BugsyPal

Originally Posted by hughc99
I never used HOD and don't doubt this is true. Maybe Zipcar isn't quite as extreme, but the problems still persist to some degree.

Can't remember where I read it, but someone was arguing that Zipcar went from being seen a community (we're all in this together) to simply being seen a service (I paid my money so I can do whatever I want).

To me the point when they added optional CDW at $2 / hour was the moment that it stopped being any kind of community and just became another variation on the regular rental companies, albeit with worse cars but in better locations.

That sums things up nicely; "I paid my money so I can do whatever I want".

Found over and over again with HOD and reading reviews from Zipcar and Enterprise CS vehicles are filthy, smell like smoke (tobacco or whatever), have no fuel and so forth. These are all things addressed in the TOS when people sign up for these car share services. Yet obviously some persons ever got the memo in kindergarten about "sharing".

The guy from the above post who let his dog take a dump on the back seat of a HOD vehicle pretty much showed the problems with that service. After kicking out all the fraudsters and or those who either couldn't or wouldn't play nice, Hertz found the pool of "good" car share customers wasn't enough for the scheme to make a profit obviously.

It was strange that before HOD tightened things up you often couldn't get a reservation. After that major housecleaning demand dropped off a cliff it seems.