FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - High School Is Over: Delta First Class, 757-200s of DL/NW+Hampton Inn FLL✈DTW✈SLC✈PDX
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:53 am
LPDAL

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
I received a PM asking me how I take the high quality images in these reports, along with asking for tips to improve their trip report photography. Since I believe that this information could benefit other FlyerTalkers and trip reporters as well, I've decided to post it here. I've also included some other FAQs that I've received that may not be strictly related to photography.

1 Light, light, and more light

In the most general, basic sense, the more light you have, the higher the quality of your picture will be. There are many exceptions to this, of course, but I'm just speaking in general. Sometimes you may be able to influence the amount of light in your photo, other times not. For example, if you are trying to take a picture of a hotel room, turning on all possible lights can help improve your shots. In other cases, flash may be used, but I avoid using flash in public places where possible.

2. How do you take incredibly close up pictures and still keep them clear?

Most stand alone cameras (meaning, not part of a phone) have a close up feature called "macro" which is represented on the button panel or settings by a stylized tulip as such:

LPDAL's Photostream on Flickr - Photo Sharing

Pressing this button will allow you to take pictures that are of objects inches or centimeters away from the lens with relatively good clarity.

3. How do you gain access to the cockpit to take pictures?

No Cold War level negotiation going on here: just ask! My actual phrasing will be something along the lines of "May I please speak with the captain" after the flight has emptied or during boarding. During boarding is usually only possible where the first class cabin is not being used to access coach, IE 757 and domestic widebodies. Usually, it is after deplaning is complete.

4. How do you take clear pictures in the dark, considering your above answer about light?

Like macro, most cameras have some mode of "Night Photography" that can be accessed. Note however, that even in "night mode", that taking high quality pictures in the dark is incredibly difficult.

5. Who do you use to store your photos?

Flickr, owned by Yahoo, is my preferred data mirror. 1TB of free storage and their feature-packed-yet-free GUI makes them a really attractive option for me.

If I get any more questions, I'll add them to the FAQ.

-LPDAL

Last edited by LPDAL; Sep 1, 2015 at 11:23 am