FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lectures from the waitstaff
View Single Post
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:18 am
Badenoch
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by jill5172
Years ago, I was hosting a business lunch at Le Louis XV (Alain Ducasse restaurant that earned him three Michelin stars). Our lunch was scheduled for around noon, and the guest of honor was speaking at a convention at 2 PM. The first embarrassment occurred when the guest of honor was given the only menu with prices on it (at the time, about 350 euro pp for the price fixe menu).

The next embarrassment occurred when the server learned that the guest of honor wouldn't be there for the entire 3+ hour meal event, loudly proclaimed to him, "If you cannot stay for the entire meal, you cannot eat!"

The guest of honor was a very traditional, gentlemanly type and he just said, "of course, I understand, no problem. Please just go ahead with the rest of the table." We tried to get the server to allow him to participate in as many courses as he could before leaving, to no avail.

The server then proceeded to serve at least three courses to the rest of the table, pointedly bypassing our guest of honor every time. It was hugely embarrassing.

Despite that, it was still the best meal I've ever had.
Is part of dining at such establishments being abused and embarrassed by servers? Is it some sort of culinary S&M thing? The meal can only be great if we pay massively but are treated poorly?

In this instance I would have told the server that the guest who initially had to leave changed his plans so as to enjoy the meal. Then he could leave at his convenience having enjoyed the early courses.