FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:29 am
sethb
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Paplover
Had a weird one last week. Going XXX-SLC-MSP-ORF, noticed SLC-MSP was oversold (no tix for sale) an hour before XXX-SLC scheduled to depart. Had a 45 min connection so not much time to deal with a vol at the gate. Plus, alternate connections left 10 and 20 min after SLC-MSP, so figured I would be stuck on a red-eye. Kiosk didn't work so asked GA to put me on the volunteer list for that flight which he did with a $400 bid. Arrived 10 min early, got to gate 40 min before departure to check status and they said I was taken care of, handed me F boarding passes (auto upgrade and bonus MQM as actual F) for the flight 10 min later and an $800 voucher. Never seen a bump processed so far before departure. I then SDC'd to the next flight since that route got in 30 min before what they booked me for.

Thanks for all I learned here.
We don't know when your SDC was processed; might have been T-45, might have been hours earlier. I've had them processed at T-60 when the flight was seriously oversold, and at T+ when it went to the last minute (we agreed on compensation and new flight, but actual processing, rebooking, getting me compensation, etc. took place after the door closed). I was told that's the new standard (which is annoying, because I've had some flights where alternative routings left about the same time, so I couldn't get booked on them).