FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How can I work with electrical outlets that don't “hold” plugs?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:04 pm
Marathon Man
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by ChangingNappies
Why are you using a heavy voltage converter? Almost all phone/camera/notebook chargers are nowadays compatible with both 110/220-240V. A small plug converter that will do it. Otherwise, I'd use a Euro extension cord, so that your heavy converter lies on the ground or a table.
Originally Posted by Internaut
Ummm... Something like one of these?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/masterplug...HAQ&kpid=58171

Edit: Here's a Euro to UK example. I normally get a sparky, I know, to make me one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anti-Fire-In.../dp/B00UYY5F7A
I can tell you that even with just a plug in the socket at the hotel as shown in my picture, the connection was loose, so it wasnt really the weight of the heavy converter that caused anything. It is the looseness of the holes or prongs in them.

I have not been completely convinced that a US charge head can go into a EU outlet or VS without voltage issues. If I am wrong, that is good. But I would hate to blow up my phone 9fry it) on heresay. So having a converter is safer to me until I can be shown otherwise.

Again, the issue is the connection to the main plug holes of a plane or a hotel room wall outlet. Even an extension chord or a power strip as shown in links above will still have to be connected. Even a multi port portable USB power charger will also eventually have to be plugged in to be recharged.

Now I know with some cigarette lighter chargers for your car, there is on the conductive housing a sort of almost spring-like loaded snap or widener of sorts that helps to make the connection stick when going into the cig lighter hole. This sort of thing needs to be on plug prongs. But I aint found one yet.

I will get a EU/UK power strip and/or extension chord... that's about the only thing I do not already have so yeah more stuff to bring with me.

Of course you all do notice that many EU outlets are inset from the wall so you need a sort of extender to bring it more flush to plug most things in anyway. My heavy converters do not have a long enough extender on them so I need something extra anyway.

I am going to go fire up the old soldering iron and melt down some lead. I shall dip some prongs into the molten concoction and give it a whirl on my upcoming trip to Munich.

Prost!