FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - EC 261 compensation for delayed flight with rerouting
Old Aug 30, 2015, 1:46 pm
olivedel

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by NickB
Ultimately, many people have different expectations of what they come to FT for. Perhaps we can cohabit in a civil manner and be tolerant of others perspectives rather than wanting to impose our personal vision of what FT should be about. The title of the thread quite explicitly referred to Reg 261/2004. This made it extremely easy for those who are not interested in this topic to ignore the thread and move to something else which interests them more.
I do not believe I did express my opinion in a non-civil manner. Not at all. I just expressed my concern (but apparently, I cannot do that either) about threads on compensation (not this one specifically) that could lead to trying to "abuse" the compensation system.

To be back on the OP's case, I think, in that case, that you cannot just say "OK" with the rebooking solution, then cancel a ticket and rebook one, get you own accomodation and then ask for compensation. If you want compensation, you need the airline to handle the solution.
Even if the case is valid within the Reg 261/2004, it would require several mails and maybe a lawyer to be defended IMHO.