FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [PREM FARE GONE] AA: GIG/GRU- multiple locations (HKG/LAX/MIA/SFO ETC) ~$200 Y ~$360
Old Aug 29, 2015, 9:53 pm
pb9997

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Events in this story seem to go back and forth, and then back again...

From what I read, so far, I would daresay that AA Executives called for this decision based on AA Legal having brought the UA F glitch out of Denmark where customers that may have forced their way onto UA's website in Denmark were clearly forcing their way onto a glitch, aware of it thus aware of the mistake itself, beforehand. I recall something along these lines on UA's story to cancel all tickets/reservations, apparently approved by DOT.

Brazilians, on the other side, would be presented in BRL as this was the currency of their cards and the compulsory conversion to BRL had been done by AA's system, thus AA own responsability. BR consumer laws would also not let AA easily off the hook and case would go into courts brought by each passenger... a company's nightmare.

I also tend to believe that the bulk of tickets issued in Brazil has been in coach, which lowers AA's losses, though from a legal perspective is irrelevant. But, on the other side, these international cards, that made their way onto the BR glitch, chose the more elaborate, expensive routes and carriers, thus an executive decision on the losses had to be made. Limited number of customers involved yet the highest amount of losses for AA.

If the above stands correct and it has been said that the glitch included AA in Brazil, Chile and Mexico then all that bought pretending to have a local currency card to then be presented the incorrect conversion and lower costs, though they had not a local card, ought to have their reservations and tickets canceled. Brings to mind that in Chile costs amounted to mere cents, thus if aware, everyone would flock onto AA Chile much cheaper than AA BR.

And if my reasoning stands corrected, the only way to salvage any pending reservation is to have it paid in a local card, whatever the currency it has been booked in. For those already canceled I am unsure whether a local card if on any help at this stage.

PS -The initial digits of a credit card state the Bank that has issued it, thus the country where it has been issued. Believe this logic is valid for all cards. Easy to spot incorrect cards...

Last edited by pb9997; Aug 29, 2015 at 9:58 pm