FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Insure My Rental Car; Opinions/Experiences?
Old Aug 29, 2015, 8:25 pm
flyerfmaz

Programs: Global Entry, United Silver, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by randix
Anyone have opinions or experiences with this site...

https://www.insuremyrentalcar.com

I note they ONLY offer primary coverage for loss, damage to the rental vehicle, etc., NOT liability coverage.

If anyone has used their services, especially if a claim was involved, I'd be curious to hear your experience.
Had a look at the site -- they claim to be "ground breaking", but similar services such as TravelGuard have been in operation for years. As far as I know, none of these third party insurance firms offer liability. Liability insurance is normally provided through your private auto insurance policy or, for those who don't have liability, it can be purchased through the car rental company (for a princely sum, but better than nothing at all). Alamo, for example, charges $13.95/day for what they call "Extended Protection", which includes $1 million in liability.

I can't stress enough the importance of NOT, NOT, NOT renting (or for that matter, owning and operating) any car at all without adequate liability insurance. Policies like that sold by InsureMyRentalCar provide coverage for the rental vehicle only. If you get into an accident where someone else is injured and you don't have liability insurance you're done. Over and out.