FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Introducing the next stop for Amtrak Guest Rewards
Old Aug 29, 2015, 3:43 pm
GoAmtrak

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Anthony provided some examples of current edge redemption cases that will improve under the new program, ones that we know represent poor value now (unless you must travel and can't afford the cash fare, or unless you're connecting at the CHI hub as another poster noted).

To keep things in perspective, here are the revenue break-even marks at or below which sleeper redemptions would remain the same or better going forward. In other words, these are all fares at or below which I'd gladly pay cash now and save my points for a better value (especially with two pax). Won't be able to do that in the near future.

Roomette
1-zone: $434
2-zone: $579
3-zone: $1,014

Bedroom
1-zone: $724
2-zone: $1,159
3-zone: $1,739

The best charitable oddball scenario I could think of would be shorter-distance day trips that are presently a hefty 5,500 per person in coach. Example: OKJ-SLO on the Coast Starlight: Today's 11,000 for two in coach or 15,000 for a roomette, become 2,691 in coach or 5,313 for a roomette (at low non-Saver buckets). Now that is a really great improvement if you're looking to save the cash (as long as you forget the present relative value of those points, plugged into a more strategically lucrative zone-based award).

Otherwise, for most overnight trips, I'm just not seeing it.

Last edited by GoAmtrak; Aug 29, 2015 at 3:49 pm Reason: typo