FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - EC 261 compensation for delayed flight with rerouting
Old Aug 27, 2015, 6:25 am
Chuvash

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, AAdvantage, Hilton/Hyatt/Marriott
EC 261 compensation for delayed flight with rerouting

Dear all,

I'm asking you all this question on behalf of a friend of mine. She had booked a one-way award ticket ETZ-PUF via LYS on august 16. However the incoming plane was delayed in NCE, such that she could not make her same-day connexion to PUF in LYS. When she called the FB line, she was told the next LYS-PUF flight would be in the afternoon the following day.

Since she had to work the that day, that was not an acceptable option. The operator then canceled her ticket, refunded her miles and offered rerouting with a direct flight from CDG the next morning.

As a result, she had to buy SCNF tickets to CDG and book a hotel for the night. She maid a claim with Hop and was told that those expanses do not qualfy for a refund by the airline since she chose to fly from Paris

Now here's my question, I understand that if she had told the operator "cancel the tickets and book new ones" she wouldn't be entilted to compensation since she would have chosen the refund option. However in this case the FB operator offered to reroute her.

In your experience in dealing with award tickets rerouting, etc. can she claim anything based on the fact that the operator did not mention rerouting would void her rights for compensation?

Also since the flight was both coded and operated by A5 does it qualify for the usual 350euros compensation for delayed/canceled flight, or are there specific T&C for A5?