FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gruyere, Switzerland
View Single Post
Old Aug 26, 2015, 5:51 am
Artemio

Programs: A3*, HH, club carlson: all gold and bonvoy plat
Originally Posted by VNAFlyer
So glad I found this thread! We are arriving into GVA at 4:30pm and leaving out of ZRH at 4:30pm the next day. I'm a Gruyere cheese addict, and my wife is a chocoholic, so visiting Gruyeres and surrounding area was just a given.

I want to see the cheese making demo, and my wife would love to do the factory tour. We'll have a rental car.

How much time should I allot to visiting the Gruyere region to achieve our goals? Should we spend the night in Gruyere, given our timing? The rest of the time we'll be using to visit places like Lausanne, Vevey, Zurich, but those are secondary.

As a bonus... anywhere we can go to pet a cow and take a picture?
The cheese factory opens at 9AM and the chocolate factory at 10AM. So for sure I'd do it that order. If you wanna see Gruyère the castel, you should may be go there before visiting the cheese factory (it's a 1 minute drive away from there).

Now depending of what you want to see the evening before....

- if a city: montreux or vevey and spend a night nearby in le mirador. It's expensive but really nice. I think there should be a discount voucher somewhere on the web.

- otherwise if in the mountains, you could go up the moléson, have a fondue up there and sleep there (something basic) on the way down with the cablecar for example. In this case you'll probably get nice pictures of cows depending which season you're going to be there.

In both cases, you're about 30 min from the cheese factory away.