FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Thinking of jumping ship from SQ/KF
View Single Post
Old Aug 26, 2015, 12:00 am
elleana

Programs: SQ KF Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat
Thinking of jumping ship from SQ/KF

Being based in SIN, I didn't think very much when first signing up for a FFP and am with SQ KF. Recently though, I have been toying with the idea of switching, or at least diversifying.

A bit of background:
- For leisure travel, usually book cheapest Y ticket on SQ (10% mile earn rate), or J/F redemption using KF miles (mostly earned with CC spend)
- For work travel, full fare Y or J depending on distance, but total mileage in a year is <50k (most common destination is HKG which is just a shade over 3k miles return, always in Y)

Why I am thinking of swiching / diversifying:
- YQ on redemptions
- KF Silver is kinda meaningless

Why the decision is difficult:
- Nothing quite beats flying Suites
- Say what you will, but there still remains a little bit of patriotism in me
- Not sure I can even accumulate enough miles elsewhere to make it worthwhile
- CC mile redemption options are limited

Is there any other option out there worth considering or should I just stick with KF? Or perhaps continue to fly on SQ but credit miles to another FFP? I can probably still get into Suites from time to time from CC redemptions.

To be honest I'm not sure if there is another airline whose metal I would fly on any sort of regular basis, which makes it tough to choose any one other alternative FFP. Ex-SIN it's quite hard to be 'loyal' to any one airline other than SQ. Of course I'd still like to stick to *A in the event I manage to hit *G sometime... UA MP sounds interesting but chances of flying on UA metal would be low, at the most 1 trip to the US a year. UA does fly to HKG but at only one flight a day the schedule is pretty punishing - 0600 outbound departure and 0020 inbound arrival.

Apologies if this is somewhat of a ramble, I am just thinking out loud..