FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Account fraud / breach: my account compromised, awards taken, etc.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:23 am
george 3

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
I was thinking about gifting a trip to a relative and went to start looking for award availability. Simple dumb luck.

I've since discovered that my email has been hacked too, so I'm busily changing passwords and logins all over the place, having credit cards canceled and all that. Somebody charged an $850 taxi ride (in Everett, WA - where the hell do you go that costs eight hundred bucks?) to a credit card that I've now canceled. F-ing people. I have to treat this as identity theft at this point.

It's funny (weird, not ha ha) - on another FT thread I've been waxing lyrical about a new TV show to which I've become addicted, Mr. Robot on the USA network. The protagonist of the show is a hacker. Funny how life mimics fiction sometimes.
The taxicab driver should remember the $850 fare. That's a huge amount. I would call the cab company to see who the driver was and see where it leads. When I had my credit card stolen from my wallet in my office by a construction worker a few years ago, I tracked it to the store where the card was used that morning to buy $11,000 in a fur coat, expensive dress and necklace. I was able to talk a detective who wanted a felony collar into going to the store and confront the manager. He gave up the sales girl who sold the goods and she was arrested.