FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Moving to London, stick with Cathay?
View Single Post
Old Aug 24, 2015, 6:30 am
jasjasper

Programs: CX SL, BAEC Gold, IHG, Hyatt, Starwood,Ritz Carlton Reward
I've been living in London for quite a while now, and have managed to maintain my CX GO for the last 5 years, but 3 months ago, I decided it was time for me to move over to BAEC, when my GO was renewed/rest

Since June, I've already managed to climb from BA Blue-Bronze-Silver (Sapp), all I did was 2 EU return flights (4 sector BA metal requirements ticked off) and a LHR-DOH-HKG return on a heavily discounted I fare on QR.

One great thing about BAEC is that, unlike CX, when you reach the next tier, they won't automatically reset all tier points to zero. Instead, your anniversary date is fixed, and mine is June, meaning, I could still progress to BA GO (OW EM) within this year!

Tier points aside, Avois (equivalent to AsiaMiles) earning is great (with 50% tier bonus for Silver and Gold) and on the ground earning is also good.
Using miles seems also to be easier than Asiamiles- you could part-pay for flights on BA with miles!

As said above, both hard and softwares on BA aren't great, but if you want to keep your OW perks, BAEC definitely isn't too bad

Alternatively, AAdvantage also isn't too hard to qualify for OW SAP - all you need is 2 AA metal flights and 50K miles

It's definitely worth the switch!