FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - U fares only IAD-DUB for first few days of November?
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:34 am
transportprof

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DCA writer
I'm planning on going to Dublin for Web Summit in November, but UA isn't making that too easy. On the logical travel days for a Nov. 3-5 event, the 1st and the 6th, it's only offering a $900-ish U fare each way. That also seems to be the case for departures on the 2nd and the 3rd. But if I depart on Oct. 31st--my Halloween costume will be "loser traveling for work"--and return on Nov. 6, it's a perfectly reasonable, sub-$400 T fare each way.

Meanwhile, EI only wants $800 for its IAD-DUB and DUB-IAD nonstops on the 1st and the 6th. And UA's seat maps look wide open for all of these dates. How long should I wait this out?

(I'm told there's a decent chance that I will be asked to moderate a panel there, in which case the organizers would cover my travel costs. But I don't want to gamble $1,000 on that happening.)
What's the downside of booking EI now? No E+ seating? No upgrade potential? You would get mileage credit. Unless E+ is a big plus for you, I'd suggest booking EI.