FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Account fraud / breach: my account compromised, awards taken, etc.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 12:32 pm
Gardyloo
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Wow, very disturbing, glad you caught it.

With regard to the below, though, not sure I get that part-- wouldn't it be clear that they your address and phone # were changed on-line and -then- the award was booked over the phone?
Originally Posted by JDiver
Very nasty stuff!

I'd wonder how they got access first of all - FFN, LNAME and password - and take some actions (stronger password, maybe ask to migrate to a new account with all your data). I'm guessing they may have broken into your account first to make some changes and then called to book the awards.

I think when I change account info I get an email stating something (address, etc.) has been changed. Be sure your email address is current - do everything you can to regain complete control of your AAdvantage accounts.

I do hope the traveler is intercepted and dealt with appropriately- they may have thought they were getting a deal for a low price, or been part of the scam. I'm hoping their journey is sorely interrupted.

I'm glad you were smart, catching this quickly and getting these thefts reversed.
It could well be that they changed everything online, including my contact email address, before booking the tickets, which was all done the day before yesterday.

Believe me, I'm going to do everything I can to protect my accounts, but I'm still puzzled how they got my AA number and password for the old account, in order to change the contact info. Unfortunately, I guess I'll have to wait until Monday to talk to anybody about this. Has there been any mention of cybersecurity glitches during the AA/US melding?