FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bangkok: Bomb blast near Erawan 17 Aug 2015 (merged threads)
Old Aug 19, 2015, 5:51 am
HKtraveller

Originally Posted by GUWonder
the use of those reported rape statistics doesn't really make the point well, also as when it mixes apples with oranges by not making any effort to adjust for the different definitions applicable. For example, the numbers for reported rape in Sweden skyrocketed after Sweden changed the definition of rape around 10-12 years ago to include crimes that are not considered rape in say the U.S. or Thailand. Also, reported crimes and reported convictions for crimes are anything but uniformly the same thing.

I have no doubt that I'm no more likely to be assaulted in Bangkok than in Washington (DC), NYC, Dallas, Phoenix, Berlin, London, Sydney, or Toronto. The biggest risk of injury/death I'm likely to face in Thailand comes from vehicular traffic. If I didn't avoid Thailand because of road traffic accidents, then I'm not sure why I should avoid Thailand because of some terrorist attacks like this -- especially as I certainly didn't stop going to NYC after 9/11 and all that followed from that.
When I see those figures in Indonesia, I would put the emphasis on the term police recorded. Life tells a different story. Just talk to a few Indonesians.