FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gruyere, Switzerland
View Single Post
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:28 pm
manneca

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by VNAFlyer
So glad I found this thread! We are arriving into GVA at 4:30pm and leaving out of ZRH at 4:30pm the next day. I'm a Gruyere cheese addict, and my wife is a chocoholic, so visiting Gruyeres and surrounding area was just a given.

I want to see the cheese making demo, and my wife would love to do the factory tour. We'll have a rental car.

How much time should I allot to visiting the Gruyere region to achieve our goals? Should we spend the night in Gruyere, given our timing? The rest of the time we'll be using to visit places like Lausanne, Vevey, Zurich, but those are secondary.

As a bonus... anywhere we can go to pet a cow and take a picture?
That's a lot for only a few hours. I might spend the night in Vevey or Montrose and then head out to Guyere in the morning. I didn't spend a lot of time in Lausanne so I can comment. I loved Vevey and Montrose. You can take a cog train up the mountain at either Vevey or Montrose (I don't remember which). The views are spectacular.

I assume you'll want to turn the rental car in around 3, so there isn't a lot of time to see too much, but then you'll have an idea where you want to spend more time when you return.