FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does WN cancel flights because they're not full enough?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 2:31 pm
NextTrip

Originally Posted by reamworks
I'm a fan of WN for short hops where they have direct service, but I've seen this happen a couple of times recently, and I suspect they cancel flights when they're not full enough.

I was supposed to be on WN 421, which got cancelled due to unspecified "maintenance" They put me on the next SJC->BUR flight which was also pretty empty.

Here's my question:

Is there any easy way to tell what physical plane WN421 was, and if the next flight, two hours later, is actually using the same plane, which they just saved the trouble of flying it down to BUR and back with only 40 pax?

If I can't depend on WN to actually fly the flights I booked, then I can't use them any more. I frequently go down to BUR/LAX with only a couple hours time to see a concert or have dinner with someone, etc. Today I'm going to miss a lunch meeting because of WN.
If you think this is the case, that this flight goes back and forth to BUR, you can look to see what gate that flight was supposed to go into at BUR and gate the next flight to SJC left out of. Dollars to donuts it wasn't the same gate. Or check to see if a flight from BUR to SJC was cancelled that would fit into that timeframe. And it wasn't. So, not the same plane. They don't do that because the plane needs to be somewhere else, not right back in SJC. I think you are reading too much into what happened.