FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Aug 18, 2015, 9:13 am
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
I believe that it is Pacific Northern with 720s, Western, with 720Bs, and Pan Am, with 707s. Pan Am had given up by 1969, they progressively pulled back from their longstanding (since WW2) Alaska service. Pacific Northern merged into Western in 1967, so both carriers had served the airport prior to 1969.

The airport served the city of Ketchikan, some distance away, with a shuttle between the two by floatplane, I presume a Grumman Goose at the time. I wonder how they did it in winter, unless it doesn't freeze. Timetables were always very precise that the airport was separated from the city like this.

While referring to Pacific Northern, I wonder if anyone ever noticed the similarity between the PNA livery for their Boeings

http://www.planepictures.net/netshow.php?id=1353852

and that of their neighbours over the border, Wardair, who were starting to build up their Boeing fleet just at the time that PNA disappeared into Western.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...FYaz2wodcCQAvg
1. Correct on all counts!

The earliest jet service I can find into Annette Island was operated by Pan Am with the Boeing 707 in 1963, followed by Pacific Northern with the B720 in 1964 or 1965 and Western with the B720B in 1967 following its acquisition of Pacific Northern which in turn had previously operated Lockheed Constellation aircraft into ANN at the same time Pan Am was serving the airport.

Annette Island is located about 20 miles south of Ketchikan, a fact that was noted in the timetables of all three airlines.

From the August 1, 1963 Pan American World Airways timetable:

"Ketchikan Airport is located on Annette Island, approximately 20 miles from Ketchikan proper. Connecting service between Annette Island and Ketchikan is provided via Alaska Coastal-Ellis Airlines only. Reservations for direct connecting passengers not required."

From the October 1, 1965 Pacific Northern Airlines timetable:

"Ketchikan proper is 20 miles from the airport which is located on Annette Island. Alaska Coastal/Ellis Airlines provides scheduled connecting service between Annette Island and Ketchikan proper. Additional flight coupons are needed for Alaska Coastal/Ellis flights. Fares $6.00 one way; $12.00 round trip."

From the August 1, 1968 Western Airlines timetable:

"Ketchikan proper is located 20 miles from the Annette Island Airport. Seaplane service is provided by Alaska Airlines to the seaplane docks at Ketchikan for an additional charge of $10.00 plus tax each way."

Alaska Airlines had acquired Alaska Coastal/Ellis Airlines by this time and was operating both Grumman Goose and Super Catalina (PBY) amphibian aircraft on the short hop between Annette Island and the Ketchikan seaplane base. And BTW, I believe the coastal waters in this area rarely froze, if ever.

Annette Island Airport began life as Annette Island Army Airfield during WW II. The Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) based various aircraft there, backing up the U.S. Army Air Force (USAAF) operating further north and west in Alaska. RCAF assets included the Bristol Fairchild Bolingbroke maritime patrol aircraft, the Lockheed Ventura torpedo bomber and the Curtiss P-40 fighter.

Around 1947, the airfield was transferred to civilian control. And this same year, Pan Am was operating Douglas DC-4 service into the airport with a routing of Seattle-Annette Island-Juneau-Whitehorse-Fairbanks-Galena-Nome being flown twice a week in addition to daily Seattle-Annette Island-Juneau DC-4 service. Pan Am later operated Douglas DC-6 and Boeing B377 Stratocruiser aircraft into ANN before introducing 707 service during the early 1960's. By 1966, Pan Am was no longer serving Annette Island.

I've actually seen the Annette Island Airport from the air as I was inbound to Ketchikan on board an Alaska Air B727-200 some years ago. And speaking of KTN, here's a bonus question:

12. What type of aircraft did Alaska Airlines use to inaugurate the first jet service to Ketchikan (KTN) in 1973? ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Aug 18, 2015 at 3:00 pm Reason: answer update