FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Expedia/British Airways Disaster!
View Single Post
Old Aug 17, 2015, 6:36 pm
danielonn

Originally Posted by Often1
Sorry, but in no event does this have anything to do with BA. You are barking up the wrong tree.

If you were on one ticket BCN-GVA-LON-PHX, it was the late-delivering carrier's responsibility to rebook you to PHX. That was Vueling and not BA.

If you were on two tickets BCN-GVA and then GVA-LON-PHX, you had no protection and when you no showed for your GVA-LON, your remaining segments on BA were cancelled, leaving you stranded.

It is entirely possible that Expedia booked you on separate tickets but presented you with a single itinerary. If you look at your e-ticket receipts, you should see one or two e-eticket numbers. A BA ticket would begin with 125-.

This is the reason when I book online not to bash OP I always look to be sure I am put on an airline that is part of the Alliance and has full luggage nterlining.
For instance I could book on a Delta Ticket Stock and be flown on Air France.

So the OP would look for DL 8599 operated by Air France 84 using their equipment from SFO-CDG

Delta 8200 Operated by Air France 4344 from CDG-FCO

Delta 3344 Operated by Air France 3433 FCO-CDG

Delta 8598 Operated by Air France 83 CDG-SFO

Sometimes Expedia will fly you out using the two one way tickets .

For instance

Lufthansa 455 SFO-FRA
Luftahnsa 343 FRA-LHR

BA 2312 LHR-EDI

BA 2232 EDI-LHR

BA 2864 LHR-FRA

LH 454 FRA-SFO

(Notice how you were transferred to BA to make the LHR-EDI portion and vice versa). Since British Airways and Lufthansa are part of different alliances one would not know if you were checked in or made the flight.

Lets say your EDI-LHR flight was delayed and the LH flight took off to Frankfurt Lufthansa may or may not know you made the flight or not.

As to booking through third-party vendors such as Expedia: don't do it. When things go wrong, nobody takes responsibility and it may be that nobody has responsibility.

The chargeback won't like work as BA was ready to transport you but you did not appear and KL sold you a ticket which you flew. Whether travel insurance works will depend on the specific policy and whether you were on one or two tickets.

Please let us know what happens.