FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ex-Mainland Europe Travel Planning Guide
View Single Post
Old Aug 17, 2015, 4:47 am
billinghamn

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kt74
Thanks for that - yup, I'd seen your mentioning first flight of the day being remote stand (but I hadn't seen your report - lovely - I'm off to KUL too in October, and now kicking myself for not checking F fares!)

The big difference was waiting to fill the bus, even though I was amongst the first few off the plane (followed by gate-side buggies, babies, kids, disabled people, the whole shebang; and it was p155ing down with rain); and departures security, if it was anything like when I left DUS yesterday afternoon (very pleasant and efficient staff, but only one scanner open, and it was one of those full body scanners, which nobody seemed to know how to use)

So my estimate based on yesterday's experience at DUS would be:
+:10 mins to get to bus gate
+:15 mins to get to passport control, assuming no other arriving aircraft
+:25 mins to get back past security
+:35 mins by the time you get to gate, because of the queue at passport control (one window open, 3 flights leaving within 30 mins)

With some back-to-backs only on the ground for a scheduled 45 mins or so, that would mean missing your return flight. Oh, and if anyone is doing LCY, mobile boarding pass didn't work for me either (not sure about LHR), contrary to what it says on the website, so you'd need a paper boarding pass from somewhere

I'm not saying it can't be done, but in the event you are on a remote stand, I wouldn't want to take my chances at DUS any more. It's definitely not 5 mins...
Glad you made your flight ok, and good warning to others about the risks at DUS.