FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both
Old Aug 16, 2015, 1:14 pm
MrAndy1369

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
I'm not sure. There were a few scattered topics on this board saying that the press conference showing off the new/improved meals did mention that linens would be pre-set beginning 8/1, but that doesn't correlate with what's happening today, so...

Edit: see CMD320's post right above mine.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
To say the least.

And, as long as some -are- so die-hard about the linen-thing (still hard to believe, as I see it in words on the screen ,) was -is- the source of the "preset linen" thing that the linen-lovers are referencing? I never saw anything official on that implementation, personally speaking-- at least as far as i can remember.
Exactly! That's what pmAA did so well - their food may have not been a gourmet, 5-star quality, but the presentation was done very well, and probably helped people's perceptions of the meal. Simply put, it's much more appetizing to eat when the presentation is more beautiful/elaborate vs. something you'd normally see in a school cafeteria or hospital/prison (not saying AA food is prison food; just pointing out the differences in appearance).

Originally Posted by cmd320
I disagree. Presentation can affect the perceived taste of the food. If you serve something that clearly looks like it belongs in the cafeteria of a mental institution, people's immediate subconscious opinion is going to be one of distaste. That can actually have an affect on what someone tastes.

Some here will say that we should be happy since they improved (well, in reality un-downgraded) 3 or 4 lunch and dinner entrees and sweep everything else under the rug. There are still plenty of problems with the service though, the primary ones at this point being consistency, quantity, menu rotations and staggering (e.g. one should never take two miscons traveling into and out of DFW and be served the same menu on both), lack of options on standard transcons, quality of the other dishes that were not updated to roughly their former standard, the pre-appetizer sized salads with little other than lettuce and maybe a few slices of one vegetable, presentation of the whole tray, the gross cookies etc. Then of course there's the breakfast services also...

There is much to be done, some items of more importance than others, but they still need to be fixed.

Last edited by MrAndy1369; Aug 16, 2015 at 4:52 pm