FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread
Old Aug 14, 2015, 4:32 pm
jjmoore

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by FAllWay
Hello, I'm traveling with 4 other people in same reservation on UA from LAX to JFK nonstop in eco. How does RPU/GPU work? Is there a way I will know for sure that I will get upgraded if using RPU/GPU? I want to trade with someone in the coupon section for one but don't know exactly how this works. Also, how many passengers can get upgraded using RPU/GPU under 1 reservation? Thanks ^
If you log into your UA account and activate advanced mode, you will then be able to do a flight search for your flight and see the fare buckets. If there is space in R available, you should be able to use RPU / GPU certs to upgrade the reservation.

I believe if there are only a few R spaces available and you have 6 people on the record, you can upgrade individual passengers, but the record will be split apart (but all party members will retain all of your privileges, such as premier access, E+ seats, and general CPU upgrade-ability).

Not sure what happens if there is no R space available and you use the certs... will the record automatically split up if space opens up? (Kacee or some other evangelist... please help).