FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Aug 13, 2015, 3:34 pm
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by reclusive46
Yeah it is interesting, I was reading that a service code has even been created terminals shouldn't prompt a signature (This was a big must for European bans), on Samsung Pay/MST transactions.
That is a pretty strange requirement since Samsung Pay will pretty much be using NFC all the time in Europe eventually. I also don't know if people will be okay with occasionally having to sign/enter a PIN when using Samsung Pay in the US; it's a common complaint among Apple Pay users anyway.

Also, once CurrentC completely fails maybe we'll see some sort of huge push towards magstripe-only store cards again by some of their members hoping to reduce the long lines without having to turn NFC on. REDcard is a weird exception though but maybe explainable via needing to regain customer confidence after their breach.

(BTW speaking of Target, supposedly they're going to start issuing chipped REDcards in a week or so. I don't see anything Target specific on https://www.eftlab.com.au/index.php/...mv-aid-rid-pix yet but that doesn't exactly mean much since there aren't any cards in the field yet. Is reusing an existing AID a possibility for their non Visa/MC cards or are they going to have to get a new one?)