FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: Comfort+ Seating
View Single Post
Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:32 pm
blitzcon

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Amtrak Member
Originally Posted by CaliFlyer27
The other planes we'll be flying on this trip are an A320 and 737-900(ER). Would it be worth it to upgrade to Economy+ as well?

And lastly the return flight from AMS-DTW gives us a layover of 1:49 in DTW. I'm going to upgrade to Econ+ to try and be one of the first off the plane. Is that still going to cut it short in terms of trying to get through customs and make our connecting flight? Never been through DTW, not sure what to expect trying to get through customs there. Or should I call and try to find another flight?
I have not flown the Delta A330 yet. But I wanted to answer about DTW since I connect there all the time, including a couple times international. 1:49 should be plenty of time. All international arrivals are at A gates. You connect downstairs to customs. The issue would be if several other flights arrive at the same time. The bottleneck for me was claiming and rechecking bags. It took about 30 minutes after arriving to get through customs and to my connecting gate, also in A.

If your connecting flight is B or C, it requires going through the tunnel, maybe 10 minutes extra walking time. If this makes you anxious, check the status of your matching flights a few days before to see what gates they typically take.

I would definitely get Comfort+ on MSP-AMS and AMS-DTW. I might even pay for SFO-MSP and DTW-SFO if I didn't have a shot at getting it free with my status.