FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IHG or Hilton? Help please.
View Single Post
Old Aug 11, 2015, 6:07 am
manneca

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GT1009
She is pretty heart set on Italy, so that's likely where we will end up.
Have you looked at IHG and Hilton properties in the places you want to visit? For me that would be the deciding factor.

You might consider what cc signup bonuses would do for other chains, particularly if you are traveling around Italy. The Westin in Florence, right on the Arno is 25k a night. The SPG sign up bonus is 25k. So, if you and your fiancé were to each get a card, you'd have 2 nights. The Marriott also has some nice hotels in Italy.

I was in Italy last year traveling around. I'm Hilton diamond and didn't stay in a single Hilton--Westin in Florence, Boscolo in Venice (a Marriott) and an unfortunate Radisson in Rome. Along the way, I stayed at several AC hotels which is a Marriott comparable to a Hampton, but a bit nicer. The Hiltons just weren't in as good locations as other hotels. In Venice, the Hilton is on an island where you have to take a boat to the main part of Venice. In Florence, it is away from the tourist center.

Anyway, my suggestion is to figure out where you want to go and where to stay in each location before tying yourself to a specific hotel chain.