FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - All belongings removed from room
View Single Post
Old Aug 11, 2015, 5:31 am
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FD1971
Apology from the GM and the case is closed.

Maybe, they should throw in some Starpoints, but it was obviously a mistake and they were simply confused about two rooms with a guest having the same name.
Maybe you think that an apology is enough here, but I don't. IME this was a real violation and the hotel should have been much more careful. I can't imagine how upset I would have been if this had happened to me, starting with entering "my" room and seeing that it was occupied by another guest with no sign of my belongings.

OH, YOU'RE NOT THE OP HERE, SO WHY IS IT UP TO YOU TO DETERMINE THAT SOME MINIMAL APOLOGY FROM THE GM IS SUFFICIENT? HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT IT WAS *OBVIOUSLY* A MISTAKE OR DUE TO ANOTHER GUEST WITH THE SAME NAME? For all you know, the OP has an extremely distinctive name.

I think it's time for the OP to name and shame the hotel.

This incident reminded me of a time at a conference center on my day of departure which was also a day when the place needed to "turn over" almost all of their rooms. I had organized my belongings for packing by sorting things into piles on the bed. [This was part of a long and complex itinerary and I wanted to put some minimal needed things into a small carryon piece in case my checked bag got lost or delayed.] Then I went to breakfast, planning to finish packing quickly after breakfast and immediately move toward the airport, still well before check out time. I was shocked when I returned from breakfast to discover that--despite my do not disturb sign on the door--the housekeeper had come into the room, put everything from the bed into a heap on the floor, and proceeded to change the bed for the next guest. I absolutely had a fit, complained bitterly (they didn't think that there was anything wrong with the housekeeper's actions because "no one was in the room and we needed to prepare the it for the next guest" despite this being several hours before the stated check out time), and got a bit of revenge by taking the time to mess up the newly made bed before leaving and toss every one of the fresh towels (that had been put in place for the next occupant) into the shower and turn the water on long enough to soak them thoroughly. In the years since, I have adamantly refused to consider going back to that conference center. The attitude that it was fine for the maid to do what she did because all of the rooms needed to be cleaned that day still bothers me.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Aug 11, 2015 at 5:38 am