FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Free rental over the weekend. Has anyone tried this?
Old Aug 9, 2015, 9:51 pm
guv1976
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Vladmir Golobovic
Hello,

I am creating this thread to check whether this actually works.

Let's suppose I rent a car on Friday, 2 pm, for exactly one day.
Therefore, I need to return the car by Saturday 2pm.

Considering that the rental business closes by Saturday 12 p.m., I would have to leave the car in front of the store, and use they key return box, as usual in after-hours return.

However, I realized something, the car would simply stay there until Monday, when staff would checkout the car for me.

My question is whether it is possible to keep the car over the weekend (until Sunday), and not get charged for this extra day? Is this a trick people use, or do companies have a way find that out. Some locations might have cameras, but I don't know if that's the case.
As cblaisd points out, the fallacy in your reasoning is your assumption that rental charges end when you drop the car off. At most car-rental companies, that's not how it works. Rental charges accrue until the car is checked in by company personnel. If you choose to rent from a company that closes at Noon on Saturday and is closed on Sunday, if you do not return the car before closing time on Saturday, you will be charged as if you had kept the car until Monday.

Of course, at some rental companies at some times of the year, a three-day weekend rental (Friday to Monday) might not cost much more than a one-day Friday-Saturday rental. Look for Enterprise's $9.99/day three-day weekend special to return in the Fall. And you can often find free-weekend-day coupons from the majors, so that you would only pay for two days (at the weekend rate) when you keep the car for three days.