FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delhi/Agra questions for short visit
View Single Post
Old Aug 9, 2015, 3:58 pm
DevilDawg1960

Programs: AA EXP and 1MM, UA 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
Delhi/Agra questions for short visit

I have just spent 8 hours over the last two day reviewing the incredible amount of information here and my head is splitting.

My wife and I have decided to add a 2 day trip to Delhi/Agra to our Maldives trip. We originally were just heading back to the US but decided to tack on a side trip to see the Taj Mahal. We arrive at the Delhi airport at 8AM on Friday February 26th and fly out at 4:25AM on Sunday the 28th. In addition to the Taj Mahal it seems that we should be able to fit in another site or two. Our original thought was to head straight to Agra on Friday and maybe do Agra Fort Friday afternoon and then the Taj Mahal first thing on Saturday and explore Agra the rest of the day Saturday before heading back to the airport. Based on what I have read another option would be to spend Friday in Delhi and then do a day trip to Agra on Saturday.

We will have Etihad chauffeur service but that is only good for 50km from the airport. Instead of heading to Agra right away would it be better to book a hotel in Delhi and spend the day there and then do a day trip to Agra and do the Taj Mahal and Agra Fort on Saturday and then return to the hotel in Delhi for a few hours before heading to the airport? The advantage to staying in Delhi is that we can use the Etihad car service to and from the hotel and leave all of our stuff there when we head to Agra and then get a shower Saturday night before heading to the airport.

One of the key questions I have is suggestions for getting to and from Agra. The three options I read about seemed to be: 1) hire a car and driver, 2) take the train; or 3) do a day trip with a tour.

Any suggestions that you can provide are appreciated.