FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 4.5 day trip to Alaska
View Single Post
Old Aug 9, 2015, 2:26 pm
carsnoceans

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Let's clarify a couple of things that might be muddling the picture.
Thank you so much for the detailed post. Very insightful.

Just couple of additional bits that might help in getting some recommendations.... I'll be there in from 21st to 26th (Aug). I am traveling with a buddy of mine (no family/kids) so mobility factor is high. However, neither of us expected the accommodation, tours or interstate flights to be that high.

1. I did a quick search for Kenai Fjord NP tours. Its $150/pp for 6-8hr tours. Seems a bit pricey but so does everything else. Any recommendations?

2. Is Harding Icefield hike around Exit Glacier? As I understand the Harding Icefield trail ends on the top of the glacier... not sure if it's some other glacier.

4. Whittier > Kenai Fjords NP cruise?

5. Is Northern Lights a possibility in this season (and timeframe)? I believe, there would be some travel required.

6. Kotzebue sounds fantastic. But $300 in airfare and $389/night in hotel is too much. That's over $1000 in additional travel and accommodation.

If Denali NP is out, how about Homer? I could go from Seward to Homer rather than going north. Would it be a good destination for late Aug? Perhaps make it sort of a road trip... Anchorage -> Seward -> Homer ->Coopers Landing -> Anchorage.

Last edited by carsnoceans; Aug 9, 2015 at 3:06 pm Reason: Roadtrip thoughts