FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 4.5 day trip to Alaska
View Single Post
Old Aug 9, 2015, 8:08 am
carsnoceans

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by Skyjam
2. Unless you’re going to Kenai to fish, I’d cut that out and spend some quality time in Seward. I’d highly recommend a day cruise on Kenai Fjords. You can hop off at Fox Island for some sea kayaking and then catch another ship back to Seward. Overcast days (vs. sunny) are best for wildlife viewing.
No fishing. Is that the biggest reason for people to visit Kenai? Is there another way to visit Kenai Fjords than a day cruise... perhaps sea-kayak?

Originally Posted by Skyjam
Since you like to hike and run, you might consider doing Denali on another visit to do it right, because you need special equipment and permits for backcountry hiking and time to get to Wonder Lake. I personally wouldn’t blow a day on a bus tour.

3. Conversely, you may want to consider just going up to Talkeenta (100 miles north of Anchorage) vs. 230 up to Denali. The view of the range is spectacular from Talkeetna, and you can also do anything from rafting to a flight over Denali. K2 Aviation does glacier landings, but my guess is that it’s too soft this time of year.

4. Check Talkeetna Lodge or the budget-friendly charming Roadhouse with long tables for everyone to share meals at. There are also lots of B & Bs you can search for online. Even if you don’t stay at the Talkeetna Lodge, stop and have a cup of coffee on their deck for a spectacular view.
I will check out Talkeenta but I really wanted to visit Denali NP. The vast expanse of Denali NP seems pretty amazing. Being short on time and lack of proper permits/ camping gear, it would have to be a pretty short visit to Denali NP. Cabins/lodges inside are too darn expensive right now and I am not sure about a day trip would really do justice.

Is it wise to biking in Denali NP? I was thinking of renting bicycle and uses shuttle bus as a HOHO ride.