FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The daily pattern of aircraft / pax flows at EWR?
Old Aug 7, 2015, 4:00 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
The daily pattern of aircraft / pax flows at EWR?

Hi all -

Originally I was just curious about a specific question: why do some European afternoon-arriving flights get dumped at EWR terminal B, versus C where they also have immigration and wouldn't have to get towed to reposition? Is it because these planes sit around for several hours anyway before making the return trip, so best not to tie up gates at C for hours? Is it because Immigration B vs. C is set up differently or prefers certain origin countries at certain hours of the day?

But I'm also curious about the general flow of flights and pax at EWR daily. Is it something like:
  • 6-8am: morning inbound bank of East Coast feeder flights arrive, connections to West Coast transcon flights
  • 8-10am: outbound bank of East Coast feeder flights depart again
  • 10am-noon: flights to Asia depart (HKG, PEK, PVG, NRT)
  • noon-3pm: European flights and East Coast feeder flights arrive
  • 3-5pm: East Coast feeder flights depart
  • 4-6pm: early bank of European flights + TLV depart, Caribbean flights
  • 6-9pm: Evening bank of European flights + India depart

Is this roughly representative of what someone may find their travel pattern falling into? Or is it not so categorical like this? I understand that some airlines have tried to smooth their operations more and make it less peaky...