FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Southwest Effect Commercial?
View Single Post
Old Aug 7, 2015, 8:39 am
FCfree

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
Originally Posted by oswaldjacoby
The irony is that I now look forward to Spirit or Frontier entering a SW market or having a big fare sale in a SW market. I have never actually flown Spirit or Frontier. But, when they have a sale in a SW market, there is often a huge reduction in SW fares and I save lots of $$.
I have flown Frontier and OCCASIONALLY they are cheaper. With the new ULCC model, by the time you add their fees back in, sometimes they are and sometimes they are not.

Recently, I flew Frontier for $219 Classic Plus on a last minute trip (5 days advance notice). At that same time, Southwest was $310 to $350 (Anytime/Business Select). Frontier lost my checked bag (could happen at any airline I guess). They paid for replacement clothes AND returned the bag 28 hours after the flight had landed.

Looking further out, near Christmas time, Frontier is $450 + "the works, their new bundled checked bag, carry on bag and seat upgrade when available) whereas a similar flight at Southwest is $186. On another Christmas flight, Southwest $240, Frontier $270 including "the works."

Frontier is sometimes cheaper, I would say maybe 10% to 20% of the time. The other 80% to 90%, give me Southwest. Southwest also has more flights so when problems occur, your delay will likely be less.