FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sold Out Hotels
Thread: Sold Out Hotels
View Single Post
Old Sep 9, 1999, 7:06 pm
Sheryl
In memoriam

Sold Out Hotels

Have you ever walked into a hotel, asked for a room and been told there are no rooms available, and then called the hotel's toll free number and been able to make a reservation?

Now that this has happened twice to people I work with, I thought I'd post about it in the hope that it may come in handy for someone at some point.

This evening, a co-worker's flight was cancelled out of Detroit. He called me to say he didn't want to fight for a late flight out, and that he would just stay overnight and leave in the morning. He walked over to the Marriott Hotel which is located inside the airport and was told there were no rooms available. I then called our travel agent who booked him into that hotel in about 30 seconds. He walked back up to the front desk with his confirmation number and was immediately checked in!!

This wasn't a one time fluke. The same thing happened at the Sheraton Gateway Suites near Chicago O'Hare airport several months ago. That time, when the traveler was told the hotel was full, he walked over to a pay phone in the hotel lobby and called Sheraton's toll free number and was immediately given a reservation. He walked back to the desk and was checked in.

Anyone else had something like this happen?