FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Blistering NYT piece on SkyMiles: In DL’s FF Magic Trick, Not Just Rabbits Disappear
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:38 am
avflyer

Programs: DL PM, Marriott G, Hilton G
As a NYC flyer, I prefer Delta, but....

My better half hails from Europe and after raising 3 kids all now going to college, I look back and have to thank Delta and Amex for permitting us the opportunity to travel to the in-laws at least once each year if not twice in some. All on award travel and mostly at low level. Before the internet, we would go to the local DL counter (they were great) and on 332nd day prior to departure, booked the tickets. When the website kicked in, we logged in right at midnight on the 332nd day. And in the ensuing years, got lucky, really lucky at times.

Which takes me to today. My wife and I were Facetiming while she was on a train and sitting next to another American with a fiancee from Europe. That lady was asking what is the most important aspect to keeping the relationship working from a technical and not personal standpoint. I told her that being able to visit family is key. Sadly, I suggested focusing travel on United (they have a good European network with LH) and picking up a credit card that earned UA points (Amex, my best friend in the world of banking/charging) does not work there. Those two elements will garner you the best access to stay close to family.

Most upsetting in all of this is that Amex is the really big loser after bailing DL out to the tune of billions. Yes, one can find awards at what we know to be a reasonable exchange, regardless of the existence of a millage chart, but the reality is that it is much more difficult for average Joe's to score a good flight. FWIW, if you are a DM and aren't complaining, good for you. But for the rest of us low life's, DL is no longer a good redemption value, especially if you are an Amex card enthusiast.

Let's face it. The planes are full, the stock is up, the management is happy. Loyalty is not as important. I just wish Amex would push a wee bit harder because the benefits there regarding travel on Delta are getting really slim.