FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US Tipping Etiquette
View Single Post
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:18 pm
pWei

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
OP, keep in mind that this can be something everyone claims to be generous with, but server mysteriously gets less. There're also the outliers who love to go on any tipping thread and assert their viewpoint.

Originally Posted by cbn42
It would be customary to tip the valet anywhere between $2 and $5. However, you can tip as you please. If you can't justify the additional expense, then don't.
Like the above, don't be afraid to go under if the service received isn't up to par. Example: If the guy makes no effort, was rude, and you had to wait a half hour for your car, no tip would be very justified.

Originally Posted by cbn42
The rule for meals with table service is 15-18% of the bill, and a bit less for buffets. Again, it's up to you.

I have a feeling that, like many Europeans, you are overthinking this. Tip what you feel appropriate, and move on. No one is going to chase you with a sledgehammer if you break some social norm.

One thing to remember is that California requires all staff to be paid the same minimum wage, without deductions for tips. Therefore, tipped employees in California make much more than their counterparts in other states. It's still expected to tip, but it's not as essential as in other states where tips literally make up the worker's livelihood.
I've had the front desk ask if I was sure I wanted to tip what I did. It wasn't that generous by some standards here, but the question itself is revealing.

One could also write on the check the reasons for not leaving any/little tip. Bad service, rude, offensive, being ignored - these all could do it.