FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need help selecting a digital SLR/video camera
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:33 am
St.

My recommendation is to go somewhere that has several options, pick each one up, and play with them. It is my belief that we have now gotten to the point in camera technology that the overriding factor of which camera to buy (unless you need some specialized feature or purpose like weather sealing or 4k video) is how it feels to you.

There is an interesting article where a pro landscape photographer took 2002, 2007, and 2015 "pro-level" model cameras and took the same scene with the same lens on each camera. Looking at a spec sheet there are clear differences between the three cameras. Looking at the pictures zoomed in at 100% on a computer there are clear differences. He then printed at 13x9 and 30x20 sizes. At 13x9 he himself, a pro-photographer, could not see the differences between the cameras without a magnifying glass. At 30x20 six non-photographers could not notice the difference (though he, knowing better what to look for could). My guess is that 99.9% of the pictures you take you will view at less than 13x9 size, where you would need a magnifying glass to see the difference between cameras (and remember, this is comparing a new camera with a 13 year old camera!).

Lens and your own skill are the limiting factors for most people now, not the camera body.